Driver Education Process Checklist
Driver Education Process Checklist
According to the Secretary of State regulations, if you are under the age of eighteen, in order to get your driver’s license, you must:
- Complete 30 hours of classroom instruction (Amundsen students will take the classroom portion their sophomore year as part of their Physical Education class)
- Complete 6 sessions of Behind-the-Wheel training with a driver education instructor (minimum)
- Complete 50 hours, including 10 at night, with a parent or other responsible adults with a license over 21 years old outside of Behind-the-Wheel instruction.
Once you have successfully completed 30 hours of classroom instruction, please use the checklist below to ensure you understand and complete the necessary steps to obtain your Illinois Driver’s License. All Driver Education office hours and links can be found on the Amundsen website under the Driver Education link.
Step 1: Applying for Your Learner’s Permit
- I have taken the classroom portion of the class AND I have a transcript stating I have passed Driver Education.
- I have received my permit application from my Driver Education classroom instructor.
- I have a $20 check or money order made payable to the Secretary of State. No cash payments accepted. You must bring your $20 payment when you complete the permit application at Amundsen.
- I have completed a permit application issued by the school that is signed by a legal guardian.
- I have submitted my permit application at Amundsen’s Driver Education Center. Students must be present when receiving or dropping off a permit application.
Step 2: Receiving Your Learner’s Permit
- When the application is submitted, it should take 1-2 weeks to be processed. To check the status of your permit, please contact Amundsen’s Driver Education Center.
- Upon receipt of your driver's permit, you can begin logging your 50 required practice hours with a parent or approved adult.
Step 3: Registering for Behind-the-Wheel (Traffic) Instruction
- I have my permit and I am ready to sign up for Behind-The-Wheel instruction.
- I have proof of my $50 online payment for CPS Behind-the-Wheel Instruction. (See link on website.) This fee must be paid online with a credit card or an eCheck. Make sure to select “Amundsen” as the Lab Site. NOTE: The $50 helps to fund gas, car maintenance, teacher’s salary, and insurance. Fee waivers are accepted for eligible students.
- I have emailed my digital receipt to: [email protected]
- I have signed up for Behind-the-Wheel Instruction at Amundsen’s Driver Education Center. NOTE: You must have proof of your $50 online payment along with your permit to sign up for Behind-the-Wheel Instruction.
Step 4: Completing Behind-the-Wheel Instructions
- I have completed 6 Behind-the-Wheel sessions with a driver education instructor (minimum). NOTE: After 6 sessions, the instructor will determine if a student is competent and able to demonstrate the ability to be a safe driver. If a student needs additional instruction, they will be required to complete more sessions.
- I have verified with my instructor that they have submitted my Certificate of Completion with ISBE. It will take approximately two weeks for your information to be processed. At this point, you should check the status of your application (blue slip). To check the status of your application, go to www.isbe.net and select the student tab. Then scroll down to programs and select Driver Education License Inquiry. Enter your permit number and click search. If you receive an error message, contact the Amundsen Driver Education Center at 773-534-2505.
Step 5: Obtaining your Illinois Driver’s License
- I have completed the Driver Education License Inquiry with a response of ELIGIBLE. Do NOT go to the Secretary of State until you have completed this step.
- Go to the nearest Secretary of State Licensing Facility to take your test and obtain your license. When you apply for your driver’s license you MUST:
- Be 16 years of age
- Have in your possession:
- Your Instruction Permit
- Birth Certificate
- Social Security Card
- Fifty Hour Log Form
- Supply the vehicle in which you will be tested (vehicle must have insurance with proof)
- A licensed driver 21 years or older who has had their license for at least one year must drive you to the licensing facility.