AHS Driver Education Policies
Driver’s Education Fees:
- $20 money order made out to the Illinois Secretary of State for your permit application fee
- $50 online payment to this LINK for CPS Behind-the-Wheel training. NOTE: The $50 helps to fund gas, car maintenance, teacher’s salary, and insurance.
- Fee waivers for the behind-the-wheel training are accepted and can be obtained from your school, just bring us a copy of the waiver. Students eligible for waivers must be eligible for free or reduced lunch at school.
POLICIES AND PROTOCOLS:
If you are under the age of eighteen, in order to get your driver’s license you must:
- Complete 30 hours of classroom instruction
- Complete 6 sessions of behind-the-wheel training with a driver education instructor (minimum)
- Complete 50 hours with a parent or other responsible adults with a license over 21 years old outside of behind-the-wheel training
- STUDENTS CANNOT MISS ANY DAYS and STUDENTS MUST HAVE THEIR PERMITS TO DRIVE!
RULES AND REGULATIONS
- Students are expected to dress appropriately for driver’s education classes.
- No open toe sandals, flip-flops, or slippers allowed.
- Gum, candy, chips, and any other food items are not allowed in cars.
- All electronics and cell phones should be turned OFF during traffic.
- Do not start cars without the given permission of an instructor.
- Playing in cars is prohibited.
- If you are not 100% sure of given directions, ask your instructor to clarify them.
- Final Authority for the interpretation of dress code and ALL other rules rest with the Instructors and the Director.
If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call (773) 534-2505 and leave a message or come visit us at 5110 N. Damen Ave. (The Mobile Center is located in the west parking lot off Foster Ave.) STUDENTS MUST BRING PERMIT FOR TRAFFIC IF NOT, THEY WILL BE UNABLE TO DRIVE.